Missing in action and a chat with F. Isabel Campoy

Since it's been so long that I've written, I feel like I owe another entry. Here's what I wrote to my Yahoo group on March 9.


Hello all,

It has been a while since I've written as I've been working part time, as well as going to school full-time. Oh, yeah, I still homeschool and have a house to take care of. I'm glad it will be all over in May.

This past weekend, I went to the NMAEYC (National Association for the Education Young Children) conference, as the director of the preschool where I work, another teacher, and I had a presentation. As I was passing through the exhibit hall, I came to the Del Sol Books table (http://www.delsolbooks.com), who specialize in books written by Alma Flor Ada and F. Isabel Campoy, and songs by Suni Paz. The rep was playing a song my daughter loves ("La H es letra muy callada...").

I started talking to the rep, and then asked another woman standing there who she was. It was Isabel Campoy! I just grabbed her by the arm and kept saying "you! you!". I was so happy to see her. She was happy there were people familiar with their works. I'm like, are you kidding??!!

Anyway, I labeled this part 1, because I have a ton of homework to get done for tonight and this weekend, and cannot get into details. But we spoke for at least 20 minutes (in Spanish), and she was so encouraged to hear of Homeschoolers Hispanas, spanishrecursos, Educando_en_Familia, we who are trying and succeeding to homeschool our children so they are bilingual and biliterate. I also spoke of our families who are learning as a second language, whose goal may be fluency. Everytime I mentioned about how many families were in each group, she clapped her hands and said, "Yes!"

Well, gotta cut this short, but wanted to pass this bit on to encourage you all in your walk. I will chat more about it later, maybe sometime next week, when this class ends. I was on cloud 9 after speaking with her, so encouraging. Ultimately, I know where my help comes from, after all, He is the one who called us on this journey. Nevertheless, it was so encouraging to hear it from one of my favorite authors :) !

Oh, by the way, the rep for Del Sol deals with Santillana USA (http://www.santillanausa.com) all the time, and agrees that their (national) customer service is abyssmal. He also said they pack books badly, books move around inside the boxes, he's gotten boxes torn and beat up. So, there's the lowdown on them. He also said he'd help with orders if Santillana will not sell to us individually. More on that later too.

Comments

Popular Posts